Friday, October 10, 2014

1/72 Academy Fockewulf FW190a 6/8

I had this kit on my shelf for months half built and thought I'd finish it since I had a bit of spare time between projects at work.

This kit by Academy was released in 1992 and I presume it's for an entry level modeller as it was an easy kit to build with simple and minimal parts. I think it took me only a couple hours to build (minus paint drying time) and being as simple as it is and at the same time being very cheap (US $5), I figured I would do some practice at some free-hand camouflage airbrushing which I had never tried before.



The whole model except the topside of the wings was painted with Mr.Color 117 (RLM 76 light blue). The topside of the wings and elevators were painted in Mr.Color 331 (dark seagray). I'm sure dark seagray wasn't painted on the real planes but as said before, it's a practice model. :)


Top part of the fuselage painted with dark seagray and camo pattern painted with Mr.Color 18 (RLM 70 black green).




Left and right sides of the fuselage camouflag patterns airbrushed with black green color. I had to repaint a couple of times until I reached a result that was somewhat satisfactory. I am currently using a Taiwanese made 0.3mm Unico AB725 which I bought second-hand from an LHS owner who manufactures and sells his own air compressors. It's a pretty reliable novice level airbrush but as such, lacks the ability to airbrush finer details and I think it's about time I invest in a much better quality 0.2mm airbrush, probably a Mr.Hobby Procon Boy.

Here are photos of the finished model :






No comments: