Friday, March 21, 2014

1/72 Revell Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB

I do my modelling work on a tight budget and to reduce the risk of purchasing further "fail kits", I have begun doing some extensive googling on kit & build reviews prior to purchasing them and I have also decided to get a hold of only kits that have been made with new tools in the past 5 years or so. Well, not to be biased but at least that's the case for Revell and Airfix kits.

The Revell Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB was a delightful and excellent kit to build. All the parts fit nicely with minimum flash and post-build putty work. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to take any photos of the initial part of the build. Here are some taken during the painting process.

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB
Underside painted first after preshading, then a base coat of dark earth color. Instead of painting an ocean gray color which was applied to post 1941 RAF aircraft, I used dark earth as I felt it would look better on the Hurricane, giving it a more "classic" look.

I use thin-downed (5:5 ratio) Mr.Color lacquer paints for airbrushing and I don't prime my models prior to painting. Letting the paint dry for about a half an hour or so minimizes the risk of the paint peeling off together with the masking tape.


Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB
A photo showing how I create the masks for my camouflage. I google for an image of the camo pattern (or scan the decal instructions in the kit), edit the size to match the wingspan of the model then print it. I then apply a clear sheet of adhesive vinyl over the printed paper, then apply masking tape over the vinyl and mark out the lines and edges with a fine felt-tip pen before cutting out the patterns with a pair of scissors. The reason for applying the vinyl is because if I apply masking tape directly on the paper, it tends to tear of bits of paper while removing the masking tape. 


Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB
Model masked and ready for application of second color. The lines drawn on the masking tape helps in positioning the tape.


Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB
Dark green applied to model.


Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB
Completed painting the colors and masking tape removed. White balance of the photo is a bit off.


Here are photos of the completed model. The gun ports were painted as I felt it was better than using the red decals that came with the kit. The decals were soaked in water then applied onto the model using DecalFix. Using a hairdryer helps quite a lot in quickening the drying process of the decals and shrinking them into the recessed lines and panels.

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB


... And the reason for building a diorama.

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB



No comments: