Sunday, March 02, 2014

1/35 Academy M1a1 Abrams Iraq 2003

An Academy 1/35 M1a1 Abrams MBT of the US Marines in the 2003 Iraq war setting. There wasn't really any mud out in the desert and it appears the marines put in a lot of effort to maintain the "cleanliness" of their armor but they had to go through lots of mud and sewage filled streets while fighting in the urban areas of Nasiriyah.

This model was finished before I was able to purchase an airbrush and so I used a Tamiya's spray can paint (TS-46 Light Sand) for the base coat and applied all the extra paint with a paint brush. For weathering, I used Humbrol's enamel wash and powder carved from pastel sticks mixed with wash for mud effects. The tank commander's MOPP suit and armored vest was modeled with Tamiya's Quick Putty.

1/35 Academy M1a1 Abrams Iraq 2003

1/35 Academy M1a1 Abrams Iraq 2003

1/35 Academy M1a1 Abrams Iraq 2003

1/35 Academy M1a1 Abrams Iraq 2003

1/35 Academy M1a1 Abrams Iraq 2003

1/35 Academy M1a1 Abrams Iraq 2003

1/35 Academy M1a1 Abrams Iraq 2003



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi

Would You be so kind and desribe what colours of washed did you use and it what order? Did you take any step by step photos?

cheers
Jack

Flixid said...

Hey there,

It has been a while since I built this but as far as I can remember, the first thing I did was to spray paint the whole tank as mentioned above.

The next step was applying Humbrol's Dark Brown Wash with a brush throughout the whole tank, then using paper towels to dab at the model in order to remove some excess wash especially on flat surfaces as I didn't want the model ending up too dark in general.

After letting the kit completely dry, I then applied Humbrol's Sand Wash throughout the whole tank.

I think I repeated applying wash and dabbing a few times till I was satisfied with the outcome. I was very new to weathering so there was a lot of trial and error as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the building process as back then I wasn't thinking of putting up a blog.

Hope this helps. Happy modelling!