Sunday, March 02, 2014

My workshop

Originally I was making my models on my computer desk in my bedroom but with the increasing amount of tools and equipment, I decided to make convert a small space in my living room to a dedicated workshop complete with a homemade airbrush spray booth. It's not much but it does serve its purpose.

Scale model workshop


Here's a close-up of my spray booth. It's a simple booth made with an old plastic box. I drilled a hole in the rear to fit the ventilation fan and the paint goes through an exhaust hose out the window. Despite the ventilation, I still use a 3m respirator mask for added protection.

Homemade airbrush spray booth


The container with the red cover in the picture above is a homemade airbrush cleaning pot. I was planning on purchasing one but those things cost about 20-30 dollars and after realizing there's not much to how it works, I decided to make one. I bought a small drinking bottle from my local super for about a dollar and used whatever was lying around in my house to build the pot.

I removed the spout and drilled tiny holes into the top of spout cap (which acts as the vent) and stuck layers of filters inside the cap. Then, drilled another hole into the opposite side of the bottle large enough for a small pipe taken from an old CD holder to fit, cut the pipe to length, stuck a piece of silicon tubing into the pipe to get it vacuum tight and glued the pipe into the hole using Araldite epoxy putty, I also used stainless steel wires to prevent the bottle from tipping over under the weight of the airbrush.

Homemade airbrush cleaning pot



No comments: